Do I have autisum?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Do I have autisum?

Postby Dizzy D » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:05 pm

i'v never been tested to autisum and they never picked it up but from verious blogs and books I know I have a few of the symptoms and I dunno whether it's worth getting tested also if I did see it worth what would I say to mum? "Hello mum today I want you to take me to get tesred for autisum" I just don't know what to do!!!!
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Re: Do I have autisum?

Postby wm1995 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm not sure. Dyspraxia is on the autistic spectrum, so you might show signs of autism, but as I said, I'm not sure.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 pm

it might be a good idea to get tested, even if your not sure, so if you are, you can get appropriate help.

as for telling your mum, i dont know her, so i dont know the best way, but with my parents, i would leave the litrature around where they are likley to find it, let them think it was thier idea.
some parents may react better to a letter from your school, it might be helpful to talk to your schools SENCO or your personal tutor.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 pm

Some dyspraxia traits can cross over with autism but I would go for diagnostic testing purely to put your mind at ease rather than constantly wondering if you are autistic or not. If it doesn't bother you, you can leave diagnosis but, if it affects your life to the extent that you feel you will need extra support in future, then I would go for the diagnostic process. As for telling your mum, I think Abi's idea of leaving literature on the subject lying around the house is a good one.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 am

What diagnoses do you currently have? I managed to get through school with a primary diagnosis of dyspraxia, although all the staff were aware of my difficulties with communication, social skills, basic maths, and other aspects of non-verbal cognition. I received wonderful support until I moved away from home for university. The Disability Resource Centre at my uni was great, but they could only give me the support that I was funded for, and my Local Education Authority would not fund a lot of the things I needed without a formal diagnosis of autism.

I already had that diagnosis. Unfortunately I didn't know it, and went through a full assessment needlessly. (I only found out about the first diagnosis when I combed through my medical records at a later date - it was buried in a lengthy neurologist's report. For some reason nobody had thought to share the contents with me, perhaps because it was my co-ordination and memory difficulties that were the neurologist's main worry.) Look through your medical reports and be aware of your diagnostic history. If people have already flagged up the possibility of autism (and it's likely), you may not have to go through a full assessment to get support later on.

If there is no mention of your social and communication difficulties in any of the reports, however, you might need the assessment. Even if you don't have autism it is always worthwhile to have a document outlining exactly what your social/communication needs are, to make sure that you are able to access the help you need later on. School can be quite a sheltered environment for students with these conditions, but when you move on and want to live independently, you may find that you need more help than you bargained for. That's when having the correct diagnosis is really important.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dizzy D » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:51 pm

So far I have only been dyegnosed dyspraxic when I was 10 & in the end of year 5. I got ocupatinal theropy in Y6 but it stopped and I only had about 3 sesions because she sed I was doing to well. I'm not convised though
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby monkey » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 pm

It is hard to know if you ahve autism. you might have it. Alot of it is teh same as dyspraxia. A clincial psycoligist can diagnose autism. There are also other thigns as well. dyslexia is anotehr one. I have dyslexia. it also happens alot with dyspraxia.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby babooshka2002 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:11 pm

parnassus wrote:School can be quite a sheltered environment for students with these conditions, but when you move on and want to live independently, you may find that you need more help than you bargained for. That's when having the correct diagnosis is really important.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Home life is so easy - didn't feel like it at the time, but everything was done for me, clothes washed, food on the table, Dad dragging me out of bed (and I do mean that literally) at 7am to go to school - although I was hard for my parents to cope with things did get done. Homework faxed to my father so no problems with having to remember it, that sort of thing.

Living on my own, nothing gets done and everything is so incredibly hard. I was surprised how hard it was and I'm only dealing with the minimum amount of stuff that normal people do - probably a lot less actually. Lived on my own for eight years and it's not getting easier. I'm glad I'm going through a diagnostic process now, to whatever end. I know I'll get support, because already they say it is clear I have problems, whatever the name of them is.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Living on my own, nothing gets done and everything is so incredibly hard

Also quoted for truth.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat