Learning to say no

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Re: Learning to say no

Postby Danni » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:21 pm

I have a few rules over buying stuff.

1) I will not buy anything over the phone. If asked to (and I haven't hung up in panic by this point) I will just say "I don't buy anything over the phone".

2) I will not sign up to charities on the street or on the doorstep. If they ask, I will say "I prefer to sign up to charities on the internet".

3) I will not buy anything if someone is pressurising me or making me uncomfortable. If needed, I will say "I'll come back later" and leave/move away. Most of the time, I don't go back :)

It's not failproof, but knowing what I'll say in certain circumstances means that I don't end up buying stuff or signing up for stuff I don't want. My standby for situations where I don't know what else to say is "I'm sorry, I'm not interested". I find it a lot easier when I'm with someone :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby smileygal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:06 pm

I try to shop in high street stores, big ones where there are several people walking around and to many for someone to go up to me and say: "have you seen this?" or: "what are you going to buy?"
Glad to hear about the refunds you've all gotten.
However if people ask me favours i can't say : "no" because of how rude it sounds - is that just me? At a group one of the people knows that if they ask me for permission I will eventually give it to them - It's just so manipulative !
smileygal

Postby Star » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:09 pm

I really need to learn how to say no to people because this term it got to the stage were one of my friends was constantly asking me for help with her projects and where one of my housemates would come downstairs late at night or when I was making dinner and ask me if she could use my printer and I would say yes instead of saying no it is too late or telling her to come back when I wasn't cooking. This resulted in me ruining a few really nice meals and getting fairly stressed about when she was next going to ask me. So yeah I could do with learning to say no more often and also learning to ask people to do things for me more often and not to do everything for other people, for instance cleaning all my housemates dishs and tidying up after them when they have left all their stuff out for three days in a row.
Star
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips