aqua aerobics

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

aqua aerobics

Postby southernbelle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi,
do you have low muscle tone? or unstable joints? it's quite a common dyspraxic problem, i have it. excercise is needed, but team sports and ordinary aerobics and sequence dancing may be to difficult. i have been going to aqua aerobics, it's great! it doesnt matter if you're not keeping up, cos no-one can see! you really feel your muscles and joints stretching and you feel great after! i started after i tried swimming but it knocked me for six, i suffered for days after. but water aerobics is gentle and less strain. if anyone else has tried and found it helpful, then write a comment below. 8)
southernbelle

Re: aqua aerobics

Postby abi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 pm

i did it for a few years, and loved it, but mum gave up, so i couldent keep going. now we have a pool and hot tub, i use them and do the exercises i remember.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:19 am

I havent tried it but I think excercise in general varies from person to person. I'm OK at swimming though I never go, I'm self concious of exercising by myself and everyone I know only has a bikini and doesn't want to wear it at the pool (I don't know why you would buy a swimsuit you're not prepared to wear). I found fencing helped hugely, although it had the unexpected (although unsuprising) effect of making me right handed.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Rosie-posie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:05 pm

I love going to aqua areobics even if im the youngest by a good fourty years, I go with my mum who also loves it during school holidays as i work during the week when its on. I also go to a easy exercise class on a tuesday night, both have improved my co-ordination loads.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Louise_tc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:41 am

There are teams for people with dyspraxia, i joined one a few weeks ago it's great craic, i found it on http://www.dyspraxiaireland.com/footbal ... -FAI--.php :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Louise_tc
Advanced Member

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips