NOISE!, NOISE!, NOISE!

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

NOISE!, NOISE!, NOISE!

Postby James Brimer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:27 am

Any one have any tips for coping with SID (Also known as SPD) & APD (Adoutry Proccesesing Disorder), for those who don't know (i'm sure most of you do :mrgreen: )what the two above are, the first one makes me sensitive to sound (extreemly), while the other (for over kill) makes it so some letters are heard the same, and I need to ask people to repeat things. Tough now I'm home -ed i don't go to lots of noisy groups (sighs relief), when I do its horrible (shivers), Becuase I can't under stand what my friend a few foot away is saying.., Anyone have this problem????, If so what strategies do you use???
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Re: NOISE!, NOISE!, NOISE!

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 am

i dont have the specific disorders, but i do have a dislike of loud noise, i find wearing headphones can block out some of the noise, and can give you an excuse to not quite hear some sounds.
i find these are the best styles to use
old fasioned large thingies that cover the ears - http://www.popgadget.net/images/X-Fi-He ... eative.jpg
or ones that have little rubbery bits that go inside the ear - http://www.retrevo.com/content/files/im ... s-blue.jpg
unfortunatly thats all i have, but its good that your now home-ed and not forced into noisy groups all the time.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby wm1995 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm not sure if it helps, because I have neither disorder, but I have trouble distinguishing what people are saying when there is background noise. I just try to get my ear as close as possible. I also hate loud noises, so I like playing music or white noise through headphones like abi to block out the sound. I can help you build a simple AM radio that would only pick up white noise if it helps: I built one in my electronics class, which is fairly noisy, and now I can concentrate on my work much more easily. The parts cost about three or four pounds, I think.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:24 pm

i dont always have anything playing, its just the fact that it blocks out some noise. thats why i like those styles in particular.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Dizzy D » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:54 pm

I have nether of those but I still hate loud noises and crounds. I think I'm the only kid in my class who prefurs a quiet class then a noisy 1. loud noises stress me out :cry:
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby award » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:13 pm

i aggree with "Dizzie D" , i hate bizzie places and load nozies i get stressed out and end up going into a courner someware or walking out
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 pm

I hate crowded places and loud places as well although I have been to a couple of concerts and managed to last all the way through so my difficulties are not as severe as some peoples. My boyfriend recently said to me, "What is it with autism and not liking busy places?" as a lot of our autistic students also don't like crowded, loud places so I explained the whole sensory overload thing to him as best I could-I never think a person without our problems can understand it fully but he does try.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:56 am

Thanks all, I think I'll take a look at the smaller head phones. We were at a warhammer group yesterday and They had to squeeze seventeen of us into one room. ARGHHHHH, I coud'nt cotribute for most of it. :cry: , Only do those once a month. I had my fingers in my ears mediating in the corner for 90% of it. This particular shop is in the middle of shrewsbury!, (Shivers), Thanks once again.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:48 am

Been home-ed since I was 9, I was then only one comeing out, but my Brother and sister wanted out to. :mrgreen: Best decision mum ever made..., In shcool you couldn't do seven laungages after all.b :mrgreen: (I don't speak them well yet I hasten to add.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:11 pm

I also have Sensory Processing Disorder. :)

All my friends know (both at home and uni) and my boyfriend is amazing- knows not to give me light touch on certain places, knows I need deep pressure, and isn't offended if I have to sleep in another room because of my hearing!

My uni mates are extremely understanding, and I now feel confident enough to go with the group I am closest too to the Uni SU, but they know if it gets too crowded or the strobe lights get too much I get disorientated. We take regular breaks outside and they check I am ok (they are lovely) but I feel comfortable in the uni SU as I know and feel very comfortable around most of the people there. If I had to go somewhere with people who I didn't know or trust, that would be very different.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby James Brimer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:00 am

I jusat found my beloved blue ear defenders ( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) thogu everybody thinks I'm wierd because I walk around town with them on (combinded with the sun glasses apparently it makes peopele enbaressed, but hay I'm not afriad to lood slightly odd.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Postby monkey » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 pm

I have dificultis like auditory procesign disorder. The audiogist does nto knwo if I have it. I fidn it is esyer to here if peopel talk clearly and nto to fast and not to quiet.

I do nto have the other oen. But I do nto like to much noice. To many noices at one time or to loud noices I do nto like.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips