Obesssions?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Obesssions?

Postby Alice » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 pm

babooshka2002 wrote:
Alice wrote:
Danni wrote:There is no such thing as too many books, only too few bookcases.

Bookcases are a waste of books that could be potentialy stacked used as a flat surface to keep more clutter.

But, if you pile things on top of books you can't read them! :shock:

You can move things onto another pile of books while you take out the book you want. Keeping things on top of books is good for the spines if you have leant them to pepole with no respect for them.

I have to admit I'm one of those pepole who tends to read things once though. I get distracted by other books and never get round to rereading.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby babooshka2002 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Alice wrote:
babooshka2002 wrote:
Alice wrote:Bookcases are a waste of books that could be potentialy stacked used as a flat surface to keep more clutter.

But, if you pile things on top of books you can't read them! :shock:

You can move things onto another pile of books while you take out the book you want. Keeping things on top of books is good for the spines if you have leant them to pepole with no respect for them.

I have to admit I'm one of those pepole who tends to read things once though. I get distracted by other books and never get round to rereading.

Heehee! I have a different problem - I have a core collection of over 100 books that I read over and over again because I love them so much and so I find it difficult to read new books, except new books in a series that are in my core collection. I have loads of books that I have tried to read and got distracted by an old favourite, and quite a lot that I haven't got round to reading yet at all! It's so bad.

I'm no good with piles - I knock them over! My dad, on the other hand, is excellent with piles. Dad's study and living room look rather like Earth in WALL-E.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby Max Meads » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:29 pm

I used to be obsessed with collecting junk. Things like nuts, bolts, interesting rocks etc. I'm over that now. I'm now obsessed with Call Of Duty, Xbox, DS and Lego.

My obsessions may have been down to autistic traits, though.
Max Meads

Postby babooshka2002 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Just over a month ago, I gained an obsession with family history. I seriously irritated people with my incessant pestering of who my great-grandparents were and who their siblings were, and then I went on an enormous spree of looking at census records and looking up birth indexes (with a free site).

I'm in the early 1800s with several lines, which isn't too hard - it's before 1837 that the real challenge starts - official certifications of events (births, marriages and deaths) started then, so before that date you have to try and find parish records, which is hard for someone who just doesn't have the financial resources to go to churches in Suffolk (for eg) to browse through their registers. The Mormons' International Genealogical Index is made of awesome, but not everything is available online yet - it's very much an ongoing thing.

Anyhoo, I had this obsession for a short time (maybe three weeks) and then lost it, but I really liked this one so I'm determined to not lose it entirely. So I'm still doing it, but it's really hard now, which is so sad.... it makes me want to cry when this happens, because I genuinely want to do these things but with the best will in the world, it's just so hard and everything is a distraction. I can only do a little bit in a day.

Typically for me, I have managed to spend £180 on this hobby so far.... and that pretty much just in one month. Certainly less than two months anyway. And this is me being certain that I was being sensible. I have a real problem with money. It's so hard, being an adult and people expect you to be sensible and you think you are but when you go through your online banking and check (like I just did), you're actually not.

Aie aie aie. And I'm on benefits. How on earth I have managed to spare £180 out of it I have NO idea. I haven't been depriving myself of food or anything like that.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby Lawzy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm obsessed with Hello Kitty (Japanese Cartoon Character) and dresses.

I'm such a girl it's brilliant.
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby Debbie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 am

:oops: I had this huge crush on a football Goal keeper who plays for Menchester United, Its died down now though
now i find it abit embaressing to be honist lol
Debbie
Forum Master

Postby James Brimer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Obsessions...where to start????

1.My room I just have to re-arrange it every week.
2.ASD and re-searching stuff like that, just can't stop thinking about it.
3.Warhammer, or more to the point, memorizing all the stats. So much fun when you out qoute a guy when you have only read his rule book once.
4.computers, loe e'nm. Only just started this one but still.

James..
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby Imanonymous » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:18 pm

my obsessions are with gaming on my nintendo wii and going on youtube
Imanonymous

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:04 pm

My current obsessions are Backtothelol, GWSampy and Mcflyfarm's videos. They make Back to the Future Youtube Poops (parodies/spoofs) on, well, Youtube. They're just hilarious! Here are a few of my favourites:

Mcflyfarm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v55Ef14pwGg

Backtothelol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnft2kzlb-0

GWSampy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46b2JOS7n6s

Last week, my obsession was Back to the Future. Can you tell? :P
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby ThatMadHatter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Tv Series Boxsets like;

Greys Anatomy
Private Practice
Criminal Minds
Sea Patrol
Gossip Girl
The O.C
Charmed
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
ANGEL
The L Word

etc...

Also characters from these tv shows - if i find a character i really like, i try to learn all i can about them. currently;

Dr. Amelia Shepherd - Private Practice - played by Caterina Scorsone
Emily Prentiss - Criminal Minds - played by Paget Brewster
Kate McGregor - Sea Patrol - played by Lisa McCune

and lots more :)
Uniqueness! Eccentricity! FTW!
ThatMadHatter
Advanced Member

Postby singergirl1000 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 pm

weight and boy image Curb Your Enthusiasm Boys
singergirl1000

Postby _robyn_ » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 pm

My first obsession my mum says was when I was 2 and I had a obsession wit goats (I don't remember this goat obsession at all :shock: , but most pictures of me from 2-5 has got a goat toy or picture of real goat.)

Then at about 6 I got a obsession with doctor who- not just naming all the characters I can name every episode characters facts from the first episode "rose" with christopher Eccleston as the doctor where plastic was being controlled by the nestene consciousness. To "The end of time part 2" the final one with david tennant as the doctor where the time lords returned in a warp star that went through a small link in the masters brain that had been placed there since a child so they could escape the time lock in the time war. From then on it no longer a "obsession" just a show I watched instead of re watched and buy the magazine and watch confidential and so on...

Aed 10 I got a obsession with mythology books, I collected all the "ology" books (wizardology, monsterology, mythology, oceanology, vampireology, dragonology...) and other books on dragons and mythical creatures.

Now, I do not have a new obsession- I still do keep track of doctor who and I know a episode and what creature was in it if you tell me a bit about it. Although I'm do read alot, I have read this year around 25 books.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby 07williamsdj » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:11 am

when I was younger I was obsessed with cars, to the extent that I can probably tell you the make and model, and some history, of most cars I go past.

Now its guitars, although I have always liked rock music I only recently got into guitars. It isn't just playing them its also types and features e.c.t. Also I know too much about my favourite band...
07williamsdj

Postby Steph » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 pm

I have got a new obsession with the Times Educational Supplement forum. I joined to post on the Special Needs section but keep reading every single post because I like the fact that the title turns grey once you have read it. It does take up a lot of time!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:17 pm

I seem to have developed an obsession with David Bowie after watching Labyrinth last week. I don't even know any of his songs, I just find him really attractive! :lol: Oh, gosh, his eyes! *wanders off fangirling*
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat