The "I can't be a- bothered to do anything" scenar

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Re: The "I can't be a- bothered to do anything" scenar

Postby JamesStanley » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:32 pm

I also have this problem with motivating myself to do things even if there things i want to do sometimes i just cant be bothered to do it.
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:04 pm

I have three problems with moivation:

1) My attention span is painfuly short. I know it's a matter of dicipline, but I genuinely don't know how to go about increacing it. I've tried all the tricks that have so far been recomended. I can't even watch an episode of an anime all the way through, much less finish a sheet of maths questions. I feel like such a hypocrite too because I can read or daydream for hours without distraction.

2) I panic if it's important, and my brain tries to block out the information. I can stare at an exam paper for half an hour and not one word will look like it's in english. The maths symbols and numbers will equally ceace to mean anything and all my reveision will be locked away where my subconcious seems to think it won't distress me.

3) I get tired. I need phenominal amounts of sleep, and my brain easily gets to the point where it's to busy working in the background to work in the foreground. If I work flat out, I end up needing 12+ hours a day (at one point this year, I when through a week or so of sleeping 13 except on thursdays) and I find I cannot be bothered to eat or summon the mental capacity to have a basic conversation.

My Dad would probably say I was speaking too soon, being halfway through my resits, but I didn't even answer enough questions for 40% if I got all of them right today. The above problems have cost me my degree.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby missteacup » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Alice wrote:The above problems have cost me my degree.

I've joined because of this comment: I recently completed my university course, although probably without honours if I've even passed. You're doing re-sits, so it's not the very end, but I just wanted to know, what is it that makes you panic about coursework? I 'coped' with the workload by simply not really paying attention to it, and now I'm suffering the consequences.

Good luck with your re-sits!
missteacup

Postby Alice » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:35 am

It probably is the end, unless I can do some kind of deal which is unlikely, because I have to have failed my resits (the fact of the matter is you have to answer a certain number to get 40%).

I don't know what makes me panic really, I just do. I only really have two concepts of future events which are "soon" (less than two days) and "distant". I try really hard to have in between stages but it's hard to get my head around a week long deadline being different from a quater of a month long deadline with a two day one at the end. That sounds silly but it's true. Even with revision which I space out more somehow I panic and forget it all till the end. I can't ignore the work there's too much of it.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby AnandaThePanda » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm

I used to get that problem, until I discovered this: Watching motivational videos on youtube really helps!
WATCH THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWbY8s6m ... er&list=UL
:)
AnandaThePanda
Super Poster

Postby adamdonaldadam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 am

When i did homework at school i always tried to do it after i came in from school (i say always, but it was rare!) as i was still in the mindset of doing work. Going from relaxing to homework was much more difficult for me, it would take me about an hour to get into the 'homework mode'.

My advice would be to eithier carry on doing homework straight after school, or if you want to relax after school or are doing homework on a weekend, do homework that is easy at first to get you into this 'homework mode', where you can then take on more harder and boring homework.

Ive also heard that wearing shoes helps you to do homework too, because of some kind of physcological association with wearing shoes and work. I dont know if this is true, never tested it.
adamdonaldadam
Power Poster

Postby lycanfist » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I also lack self motivation, lots of people call me lazy. I'm writing an essay for english which I was supposed to do 2 weeks ago, but I was "sick" :wink: so I didn't have to do it. I have to give my plan in tomorrow, and surprise I still haven't done it :( . I find it sometimes helps to split the work over a long period of time, but I often forget :oops:.
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips