GCSEs, A levels and Higher Education

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

GCSEs, A levels and Higher Education

Postby wm1995 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I find it really difficult doing so many subjects at GCSE, because of all the homework, especially the essay writing. I am generally interested in subjects that include less essay writing such as Chemistry, Physics and Maths, and find homework for these subjects much easier to do because it interests me more. I think what I am trying to ask is, does the amount of homework decrease or become easier to deal with as you move to A levels and Higher Education?
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Re: GCSEs, A levels and Higher Education

Postby Remus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:36 pm

I'm going to speak from experience and say no. I think it just gets more difficult, the higher you descend up the education ladder. When I did my ND I struggled in the beginning because the workload was a lot more but I was okay because I'm quite good at writing reports and stuff like that. The key is to try and focus on one subject at a time.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:26 am

The workload increaces and gets harder, but the subjects narrow. You end up working really hard at subjects you enjoy rather than a little at subjects you resent. In the end, providing you get enough grades, you end up working unspeakable amounts but at your favourite subject.

Well, for science students anyway, can't say the biologist and I noticed any of our other flatmates taking on unspeakable workloads :wink:

Then again, I shall be the first to admit I am horribly biased.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wm1995 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Thank you, both of you, for your kind advice.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby PopOnImpact » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Take it from someone who actually took Physics, Chemistry & Maths at AS 2 years ago, don't. Unless you are a incredibly gifted just don't. All A levels are not equal and you are looking at the hardest 3 right there, now I know you shouldn't let my failure influence you, but I failed. All of them, and the people who passed got D's and E's.
PopOnImpact

Postby Alice » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:44 pm

PopOnImpact wrote:Take it from someone who actually took Physics, Chemistry & Maths at AS 2 years ago, don't. Unless you are a incredibly gifted just don't. All A levels are not equal and you are looking at the hardest 3 right there, now I know you shouldn't let my failure influence you, but I failed. All of them, and the people who passed got D's and E's.

Not the hardest for everyone, it depends what you're good at. Also, you need certain A levels to get onto certain courses.

I didn't do so well at Chemistry or Biology myself, but my Physics and Maths grades were certainly passable. I'm not particularly intelegent, but I'm a science kind of person.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Study Support