study

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

study

Postby murph » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:53 am

hello im murph ( not really my real name :p ).. and umm.. this is my frist post on here, ive been reading on here for ages xD and i was just wondering does any one eles have troble with siting down and studing for long prouinds of time? coz god knows i cant do it i just start to day dream or start playing with my fone or ipod :? yer so if sum one can tell me if its like that for anyone ele thanks :D
murph
Advanced Member

Re: study

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:19 am

Yes, I have that problem. A timetable helps - if I can stick to it, whiuch I usually don't.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby murph » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 am

ok thx
murph
Advanced Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 am

You're welcome.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:05 pm

The first thing you need to do is to choose a study area and clear it of all distractions. Unfortunately that means no phone or iPod. ;) I find it helps to draw up a timetable, as Esther suggested, but be realistic about what you can achieve - if your attention span is very short, try studying for half an hour at a time before taking a ten-minute break. Plan your breaks in advance; you could make a cup of hot chocolate and listen to some music, go for a walk to the end of the road and back, or do some other thing that lets you burn off energy and settle your mind again. You should also plan out what you want to study. Don't just think, "I'll do maths today" - plan out exactly which assignments to do and when to do them. 'Questions 10 to 14 before one o'clock' and 'questions 15 to 20 after dinner' sound manageable; 'do my maths homework' just sounds overwhelming. It might also help you to study with somebody who is good at remaining focused and whose presence encourages you to focus too.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby murph » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:09 pm

alrite i go and try do that thank you
murph
Advanced Member

Postby wm1995 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:34 pm

The only thing I can add to the brilliant advice above, is going to a quiet place somewhere, such as the school library, can help if you are unable to clear the place of distractions. Unfortunately I know that libraries are not always as quiet as they should always be, but you might be able to find a quiet corner. Studying with a friend is also excellent advice: you could each study for a while, and then if revising you could test each other, which I find a really good way of learning, or compare answers if it is regular homework.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby C » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm

It's funny, sometimes my concentration cab be really good, particularly when I'm really focused on the subject. I agree it helps to take regular breaks, especially if you just feel like 'nothing's going in.' Also, you could set yourself, say, half an hour/an hour to do as much work as you can and then take a break regardless of whether or not you feel you've done as much as you could. Maybe you could reward yourself if some way for 'good studying behaviour', for example, by having a bar of chocolate or watching a film? Also, as already mentioned, it helps to be specific in your goals.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby murph » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:26 pm

woah xD im really shocked with all the tips u lot are giving me lolz
murph
Advanced Member

Return to Study Support