has anyone else been punished by school 4 being dyspraxic?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

has anyone else been punished by school 4 being dyspraxic?

Postby Gigi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

I have just started at a new secondary school - I am 13 -and even though my school knows that I am dyspraxic my parents were told by my teacher that the school could not treat me differently from other children and they would have to get used to me being punished i.e. given extra work or detentions, for being poorly organised and forgetting things. Has anybody else been punished by their school for being dyspraxic?
Gigi

Re: has anyone else been punished by school 4 being dyspraxic?

Postby wm1995 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm

Pre-diagnosis, in reception they told me that I had to recolour everything I had coloured because it was scribbled (I didn't understand the difference; I just copied everyone else). I also was sent to the headmaster because we were given 45 minutes to write about the three little pigs, and I wrote "Once upon a", and nothing else. Someone else had written 11 pages (big letters, small pages, but substantially more than I had). That was an unpleasant conversation...
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby xFCJ1995 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 pm

I think you've been treated terribly by the school - you should make it clear to them that there's nothing you can do about your organisation skills, and that you'll try the best you can but you shouldn't be punished for something you can't control! Besides, my mum's a lawyer and she says that if they still punish you for it that's disability discrimination - so don't stand for it!

Fenella xx
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby Gigi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks Fenella
My Mum's going to talk to the school SENCO and make sure that all the teachers are aware that I can't help being disorganised. Most of the teachers are fine and really helpful and supportive - it's only one who is handing out punishments
Gigi xx
Gigi

Postby xFCJ1995 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:16 pm

good :)
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby C » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi, sorry to hear about this.

While I believe you shouldn't use dyspraxia as an excuse (ie. I can't be bothered to hand in this essay, I'll just say I couldn't do it because of my dyspraxia...') and should make every effort to be as organised etc as possible, there are definite problem areas that dyspraxia affects and makes you find things a bit more difficult than other people. I think the school should help support you through this... are things any better now?
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Trin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Is your dyspraxia covered under special education, or do you have an IEP (individualized education plan)? I don't think that schools can punish you like a general education student if you have an IEP. I would check into this. If you do not already have an IEP I would talk to your parent about getting one.
Dyspraxic Teen now looking for physician jobs. Yes my daughter did it Congratulations Katie.
Trin

Postby bpcooper » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 pm

It works a bit different in the UK Trin, we have Statement of Educational needs here which work on the same principle of an IEP but a bit different.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby meow » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am

When I was younger, I had a really horrible teacher. She knew I had dyspraxia and my handwriting was AWFUL. I'd try so hard. She'd shout at me, keep me in at lunch times and make me write my work out all over again. If I didn't do it write she'd chuck it in the bin...
I've also been made to redo work time after time because I really can't colour in, I try and I try but I really can't colour in properly. Meh. :(
meow

Postby xFCJ1995 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:13 pm

As said by Trin, you should have an IEP, as this will make your teachers aware of exactly what your difficulties are and what they can do to work with you. If you don't have one, try talking to your schools Senco (Learning Support). An IEP is a British thing, so you should be perfectly able to get one (I should know - I have one :D)

:)
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby Nicole xD » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:00 am

No, I haven't, not in secondary anyway. It isn't right for you to be punished like that, and I'd go with the advice above. I have got demerit points before which is kind of punishing me for being dyspraxic (I got them because I forgot my apron) but that's because she knows I'm organised usually. My teachers will excuse me for being late for classes (only about 30 seconds-5 mins) as there is a considerable distance between classes and they're often at opposite ends of the building but this is the only thing i can get away with.

One of my teachers often makes remarks about my writing saying stuff like "I can't read this" infront of my entire class when I really believe that sometimes she doesn't even try as all my other teachers can. The same kind of thing used to happen to me in primary school, my teacher used to make me rewrite things all the time, talk about how bad my writing way to the rest of the class and that made me feel bad. I don't even think she noticed.

Now I use a laptop for nearly all school work that is long so most of the time it's okay apart from short questions which I write by hand as there is no alternative here which is where this teacher is giving out to me. Tbh, I don't mind too much as she's the teacher that EVERYONE hates xD
Nicole xD
Super Poster

Postby evilmuffet » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:06 pm

That's terrible treatment, if you have an problem with handing in the work to a deadline and if the work isn't satisfactory they shouldn't punish you because of it. They're aware of your problem so they should help as long as you put in the effort. Maybe your parents could ask the school for some help sheets and guide lines to all the work. And if you're a bit disorganized they could give you a planner and keep the work you've already done at school.
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby Steph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:30 pm

I was given a referral (a disciplinary procedure) in Year 7 for not completing homework (I kept forgetting my homework planner and then forgetting what I had to do) and I also got told off by a couple of teachers for losing nearly all of my exercise books in the same week right at the beginning of Year 7 but, once they got to know me and how my dyspraxia affected me, they were more understanding and I never had any more problems. What they are doing to you is not fair.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Katie fletcher » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:21 am

hi i have been punished twice once it was because i didnt forget my maths books i brought the one i had used up all the pages in and got given a detention i was in year 8 and had never had one before so stood outside staff room in tears te second time was when i was shouted at for not understanding how to use a machine in dt :( my dad spoke to the special needs lady and she spoke to the teachers though really they should know and understood :(
Katie fletcher

Postby Steph » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Oh I forgot the time an IT assistant from Australia on his gap year called me lazy and said that he could have done twice as much work in the same amount of time. That really upset me as I had tried my hardest and his comments reduced me to tears. I spoke to a trusted teacher who spoke to the IT teacher and he explained to him about my difficulties. After that, he was always overly nice to me.
Steph
Forum God !

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat