phobias?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

phobias?

Postby nuttynix » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 pm

ok i have this wierd thing and every one laughs at me and it really gets to me. i dont no what it is but the sight or feel or even just thinking about wooden popsicle sticks makes me sicks to my stomach and i totally cringe. (just typing this is awful) i dont no what it is wether its a phobia or a sensitivity or what but i can only assume its due to my dyspraxia? any one have any help? or anything similar? thanks =D
...☆Nixie.☆.Naive☆...
nuttynix
Advanced Member

Re: phobias?

Postby Dan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:48 am

I used to suffer from emetiphobia quite badly until the other day I threw up quite a lot and I realised how trivial it is.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby nuttynix » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:01 am

but i dont no if what i have is a phobia or if its an oversensitivty due to my dyspraxia or anything. im really confused and want to be able to no exactly what it is. but then if i tell a doctor i can imagine that there gonna test my reaction to them and the thought of that makes me feel sick >.<
...☆Nixie.☆.Naive☆...
nuttynix
Advanced Member

Postby Steph » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:30 pm

It might be related to your dyspraxia-another member on here, Remus, has said how he hates the feel of wooden ice lolly sticks but I don't think his extends to a phobia. If it is really affecting your life, I would recommend going to your GP and asking for a referral to one of these clinics that help to desensitise people from various phobias. However, you may have to pay for this so I would think carefully about it. If the object of your phobia was an everyday thing, such as buttons on clothes, I would definitely recommend it but I haven't seen wooden popsicle sticks in a good year or so although I accept it may be different for you.

As for me, my phobias are vomiting (when I feel nauseous, I force myself to stay awake constantly sipping water and doing anything to take my mind off feeling sick!), needles, wasps and bees and dogs. This last one is very noticeable-yesterday I was walking back from lunch in the village where I work with my boyfriend when I saw a dog off its lead. My body quickly tensed and the dogs owner took one glance at me and put the lead back on-I hadn't even said anything to him but he could tell by the look on my face! Unfortunately I live in an area popular with dog walkers as there are loads of fields around here so running into a dog is pretty much an everyday occurrence for me and no matter how often their owners reassure me that "she/he won't hurt you! She/he is so gentle!", I just can't get the thought that they might hurt me out of my head. I have been told that a lot of autistic people (I have Aspergers Syndrome as well as dyspraxia) fear dogs but I can't remember the exact theory behind it.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:33 pm

I can however tolerate going into a house with a dog in it but I still get nervous around them, particularly really hyperactive ones. I remember staying with my auntie once when she was "dog-sitting" for her ex partner and the dog was really hyperactive and kept jumping up and skidding everywhere-it was a tiny dog but I was on edge all the time I was in the same house as him.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:08 am

Like Steph said, I'm the same as you and I cannot stand to look or touch wooden ice lolly sticks. Just writing this now, I'm thinking about it on my teeth and I just shudder, I don't know what it is but I just find them repulsive. It's doesn't effect me though unless I think about or see one say going down the ice cream aisle. I'm not a fan of ice cream that much anyway. Personally I just think it's just a phobia and not dyspraxia related as I've talked to my mom about it and she is exact the same, she can't stand them either nor wet wooden roller pins either for some reason.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby evilmuffet » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:50 am

I always thought it was weird how much I hated the feel of some woods and certain cottons drove me nuts. I used to wrap the wooden lolly stick with tissue paper or a bit of ordinary paper so I could have some kind of barrier between the wood my fingertips.
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby nuttynix » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 am

well i recently discovered that my dad suffers from the same thing. and my problem is i love ice cream! i have to wrap the plastic-y wrapper around the stick then give it away when it gets too close to the stick. i cant stand paper against wood. bluergh!! :|
...☆Nixie.☆.Naive☆...
nuttynix
Advanced Member

Postby Trin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Is it that thinking about wooden Popsicle sticks causes you to feel sick or actually touching them does? You mentioned that even typing about them caused you to become ill, I would think this would not be a sensory issue but possibly a phobia. Check with you doctor, but be sure to mention that just the thought of it makes you ill, not the actual touching of the stick.
Dyspraxic Teen now looking for physician jobs. Yes my daughter did it Congratulations Katie.
Trin

Postby nuttynix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:47 am

well its a bit of both because as soon as i think about it it reminds me of how it feels when you do touch them and its makes my whole body cringe
...☆Nixie.☆.Naive☆...
nuttynix
Advanced Member

Postby kitty123 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:06 pm

i have got a fear of underwater and swimming
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby galexy96 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:18 pm

My biggest fear is mannequins, but im also scared of bugs and rabbits
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Nicole xD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm terrified of dry sponges...I dressed up as a zombie for Halloween which involved covering all visible parts of me with green (zombie colour) and red (zombie blood). You can imagine how awkward and hard that was because we had to use a sponge which although was covered with paint was still fairly dry.

Oils...I hate them. If I have to cook I'll try to get someone to pour the oil on the pan for me.

Mash potatoes...I have to eat them alot but it isn't a pleasant experience.

The dark.

Velvet.

Heights.

Cotton wool....Had to use it quite abit in school for various reasons. I don't even know why. The thought of cotton wool and dry sponges make me feel really sick.

Worried that people are laughing at me and trying to insult me when they arent really.

As you can see most of my fears are some what related to dyspraxia (texture) :D
Nicole xD
Super Poster

Postby kerrianne92 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:03 pm

I have a phobia of deep water (if it comes up any further than the top of my chest I can start to get a panic attack and hyperventilate).
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Star » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:32 pm

I have a phobia of slopes and verges.
Star
Mega Poster

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat