OCD

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

OCD

Postby Issey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Just found out I also have OCD as well as dyspraxia. I have it where I experience intrusive thoughts that make me want to do things or get paranoid. Just wondering if anyone else has it and has any tips on coping with the unwanted thoughts?

Thanks guys :)
Issey

Re: OCD

Postby galexy96 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:53 pm

I haven't been diagnosed or anything, but i feel I may have it as i do certain things excessively and I can also get incredibly paranoid.
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:57 pm

I have unwanted thoughts, but with me it's just a part of my personality.

I find that with impulses, it's easier if I try to supress them and consult someone about whether it's a bad impulse or an OK one, since I can't always tell.

I think that unwanted thoughts and impulses to a certain extent are experienced by everyone. You are unfortunate enough to experience them excesively and/or in a different way. I don't know if that will affect the usefulness of any advice I could give.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby jamster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 pm

i am the same i havnt been diagnosed yet with ocd but feel paranoid and get obsessive about things it makes me feel tired and angry and i dont want to be
jamster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:20 pm

I wouldn't call it OCD but I don't getting my hands sticky or dirty. I washed after feeding the cats, after brushing my teeth and after dealing with egg yolks. Because of the weather, my skin is cracked around my knuckles :lol:
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:59 pm

MontyDyspraxia wrote:I wouldn't call it OCD but I don't getting my hands sticky or dirty. I washed after feeding the cats, after brushing my teeth and after dealing with egg yolks. Because of the weather, my skin is cracked around my knuckles :lol:

*shudders*

I get through so much handcream incase of that. You'd think as an exma sufferer, I'd be used to the texture of dry or chapped skin. A lot of people seem to think that my "beauty routine" is a bit excessive (I use body butter every day, a scrub once a week, sometimes I use moisturiser twice a day in this whether), but otherwise I cringe when I brush against anything, including my own clothes or myself.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MARK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:53 am

I HAVENT BEEN DIAGNOSED BUT I THINK I HAVE OCD

LIVE LIFE BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE REGARDLESS OF YOUR ABILITY
MARK

Postby meow » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I haven't been diagnosed by I know I have it and I hate, hate, hate it.
meow

OCD disorders

Postby evilmuffet » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:22 pm

I've got some awful ones that I tend to do every week. The one right now I don't mind saying because I've just gone and done it is picking. I'm an awful picker and squeezer of spots and black heads alike. Worst of all by the end of it I come out in scabs and I look awful...From what I gather I'm probably not even Dyspraxic but I curious if anyone else suffers with OCD (maybe not as weird as mine)
Can I get advice to stop useless habits because I might consider wearing a bag over my head. :oops:
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby Issey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks it's good to know other people suffer frustration from this. Wondered if any of you have to do any compulsions, I have to touch and see everything twice, I'm obsessed with contamination and have rituals before bed etc.
Issey

Postby Creative » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 pm

I have unwanted thoughts but I don't have OCD.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Dizzy D » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I haven't been diagnosed.But:
My pillows have to be in an exact order.
I have to have an even amount of money.
I have to check ALL the plugs several times before I go to bed.
My plate has to be the right way round or I can't eat.

I kinda think I might g=have ocd
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby Issey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:17 pm

At the moment I am going to a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service. They have put me on medication and are starting me on therapy called cognitive behavioural therapy, anyone had any experience with this? :|
Issey

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

CAMHS are usually very good. They can help more than CMHT (where adults get sent.)

I am having CBT for OCD and other stuff. It is hard and can be quite scary but it is worth it because it gives you your brain back.

You might find the book "touch and go Joe" by Joe Wells extremely helpful.

I have been on two different SSRI medications (SSRIs are the most common OCD medications.) One was crap and one worked. I have also taken other psychiatric medications. They have different side-effects for different people. SSRIs usually have bad side-effects in the first few weeks but then are OK. But you should get advice from your doctor, not internet randomers.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Issey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Ok thanks :)
Issey

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat