Who's dyspraxia causes problems with food here?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Who's dyspraxia causes problems with food here?

Postby ohpandahat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I've had issues with food ever since I was little!

I can't stand vegetables, I find them really hard to swollow! The only veg I eat is baked beans and dolmio! I sometimes have very finely chopped carrot in spag bol too - but i've only started doing that recently. I try to make up for the lack of veg by eating fruit but i'm worried i'm not getting enough vitamins! Does anyone know a good vitamin substitue or anything?

Melted cheese makes me heave.

I can't eat sandwiches! I could eat say, a peice of chicken on it's own and some bread on it's own. But if I put the chicken in the bread it makes me heave!

It's quite embarassing at the age of 20 going to a resturant and asking for no veg or having to put it on someone else's plate. I hate the attention!

What difficulties with food do you guys have? Or do you have any advice?
ohpandahat
Super Poster

Re: Who's dyspraxia causes problems with food here?

Postby Super Nekou » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 pm

If I'm given veg or salad in a resturant, I wont touch it. I just leave it on my plate and dont eat it. I like certain veg, I love cauliflower and peas, but I CANT STAND carrots. I just leave them. So if that's making you feel embarrased, could you cope with just keeping them on your plate and not eating them?

Rice makes me gag, I detest it. Mushrooms also. Beans too, I hate beans. I have a problem with juicy foods, such as tomatoes which give juice out when you bite into it. I dont have much of a problem other than this, I have more problems in getting the food into my mouth from the plate than I do eating it usually >_>

As for vitamin supplements, I cant suggest any. I refused to take them as a child and I'm on vitamin B12 injections because my body cant process it.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm a fussy eater, but that's because i don't like the tast. I don't think it's caused by dyspraxia for me (but it is for other people).
If given salad at a restaurant, I don't eat it and i only eat certain vegtables. if a meal at a resturant has something I don't like, I tend to give it to my dad, so you're not alone in that. I don't think 20's too old to be doing that. I can't really advise you on vitamins as I don't take them.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wadey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:50 pm

i wont eat any fruit as i cant stand the taste or feel of them in mouth. when i was little I couldnt have certian food touch other food.

I am ok with most food but will tend to eat 'hand' food.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

I am a fussy eater. I just suddenly go of things and wont eat them.
I hardly eat any bread as I don't like it and toast makes me gag! I can't bear the texture of it! I used to be able to eat it with no problems.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I am a pretty varied eater compared to most people with dyspraxia/related conditions (one of the autistic students on my unit will literally only eat Rice Crispies, sausages, fishfingers, chicken nuggets, chips, baked beans, potato waffles and cheese and onion crisps) but I do still have more issues with food than most people without dyspraxia/related conditions. My list of food oddities are as follows:

Tomatoes (both cooked and raw) make me heave.
Even the smell of pickle makes me have to leave the room before I vomit.
I love the taste of kiwi but have never been able to actually swallow any down without retching as I hate the texture of it.
I can't stand pineapples or aubergines.
I only like very mild foods-I'm not good with herbs or spices at all.

Also, like you, I don't eat salads in restaurants-I just leave them on my plate or give them to someone else. I don't get embarrassed by it any more though-I am the girl who, on a first date once, methodically picked out every single kidney bean from my chilli con carne nachos and lined them around my plate (I love chill con carne nachos but can't stand kidney beans-even the thought of biting into one makes me feel queasy) without any thought as to whether this behaviour might have been considered a bit strange (I don't think it was though as the guy I was on the date with has Aspergers himself so is a lot more tolerant with that sort of thing than most people). I have made progress recently though-I never used to eat peppers but I can now eat red peppers as long as they are part of another meal.

I am also what my family call a "boring eater". I tend to stick to a few favourite meals rather than exploring other foods-I think that's more of an autism thing though. I have eaten Indian takeaways since I was six and, in those 18 years, have NEVER had anything other than Chicken Tikka Masala, much to my stepdad's bemusement-he keeps trying to turn me and get me into other curries but I refuse to be turned :lol:
Steph
Forum God !

Postby ohpandahat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks guys! I'm obviously not the only person with these issues! :)

I can't eat spicy foods either, although I can tolerate mild cajun chicken! I also tend to stick to the same meals.

It makes it hard when if i'm at college at lunchtime because I don't like sandwiches and I don't like most of their meals as it tends to contain melted cheese / veg. So I tend to have either chips or crisps which might be tasty but not very nutritious!

I think the fact that a big deal used to be made out of my eating habbits when I was younger, worsened the problem. Of course at the time it wasn't known that I had dyspraxia. Infact, I hardly used to eat at school. I find it arkward eating around other people, especially if they have bad habbits such as:
Eating with their mouth open, making noises while eating, talking while eating etc. I wish I was a more tolerent person!

Smells of certain things make me heave too. Particulary macaroni cheese, fish, curry, banana!
ohpandahat
Super Poster

Postby wm1995 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:28 pm

The list is too long to be reproduced here, but a brief summary:
Any vegetables
Almost all fruit
Anything spicy
Soup and anything similarly runny
Most forms of eggs
Most sweets

I hate it at restaurants when they put lemon in the water. I have to always ask for them to not put it in.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby Super Nekou » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Funnily enough I dont like too spicy foods either and I also tend to stick to my favourites. Which is pasta. Sadly nobody else in my house likes it as much as me so get a bit annoyed when I want it 4 times a week. I also like to have my food exactly the same every time I have it, and of course cooking isnt like that so I get a little upset when it tastes a bit different. Dont show that, though.

wm1995 wrote:The list is too long to be reproduced here, but a brief summary:
Any vegetables
Almost all fruit
Anything spicy
Soup and anything similarly runny
Most forms of eggs
Most sweets

I hate it at restaurants when they put lemon in the water. I have to always ask for them to not put it in.

Chocolate is the only kind of sweets I can stand..marshmallows too, and jelly babies..but the rest, eww.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby wadey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Super Nekou wrote:Funnily enough I dont like too spicy foods either and I also tend to stick to my favourites. Which is pasta. Sadly nobody else in my house likes it as much as me so get a bit annoyed when I want it 4 times a week. I also like to have my food exactly the same every time I have it, and of course cooking isnt like that so I get a little upset when it tastes a bit different. Dont show that, though.

I love Pasta too. If i could I would eat it everyday of the week.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I love pasta too!!! :D The only things I don't like is Marmite and cheep jelly beans (although that one is my fault after eating too many) otherwise I love food.
07williamsdj

Postby Creative » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Pasta is one of my favourite foods too. I'm having it for tea tomorrow. :D
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Super Nekou » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Creative wrote:Pasta is one of my favourite foods too. I'm having it for tea tomorrow. :D

I had it today! And yesterday. ...And I'm having it tomorrow. It's nice to see other people love pasta as much as me!
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 pm

I had pasta bolignaise for lunch and I really really fancied pasta for tea, but my mam said that I should have soup and sandwidges instead :roll:
Last edited by 07williamsdj on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
07williamsdj

Postby Creative » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I could eat and eat pasta until it gave me a stomach ache.
Creative
Forum God !

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat