Can other people read your handwriting?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Yes
31%
No
23%
It depends on how hard they are willing to try
46%

Total votes : 35

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:47 am

I have always had major issues with my handwriting-it is one of my biggest dyspraxic difficulties. I, of course, can read it perfectly but I can count on the fingers of one hand the other people who can interpret my scrawl. My mum can interpret my handwriting perfectly but, at a quiz night the other night where we had to write our answers on Post It notes to avoid screaming it out, both my uncle and my stepdad looked at one of the answers I had written down (The Qu'ran) and said, "What the heck does that say? I can't read that at all!" During a unit inspection at work, the Assistant Unit Manager of another unit wrote in his report that "some comments on student daysheets are illegible". I have also been told by a teacher at college before that she had to be drunk to mark my written work as, when she was drunk, my scrawl made sense to her. I also had a transcript for all exams up to and including A Levels. At GCSE, this was a handwritten transcript by one of the LSAs and, at A Level, after some confusion in which my papers weren't transcribed properly, I got a typed transcript in which my subject teachers dictated the papers and a secretary typed them up. Luckily I don'y have to handwrite much any more, only the student daysheets, and my previous line manager even suggested typing those up to "make the information more easily accessible to the other staff" but I don't see how that would work when you have to fill in different sections for each student you are with throughout the day. The only advantage to having absolutely appalling handwriting is that I can interpret other similarly appalling handwriting. My brother sometimes gets me to read written work from some of his students who have severe handwriting difficulties and I once had to interpret a friend's school report where one of her teachers had written something that she couldn't understand at all. I took one look at it and could read it perfectly as his writing was exactly like mine! I know there are several threads on handwriting but my Search function on here isn't working, for some reason.
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Can other people read your handwriting?

Postby Rosie-posie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Likewise my handwriting has always been one of my major problems, people have often said they can't read it I struggle to read it myself sometimes especially when I was at uni and we had to do note taking from interactive whiteboards it ended up all over the place because i was trying not to miss anything. Another problem has been writing on interactive white boards in schools as they often have a delay on them.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:33 pm

I can't even read my own handwriting.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:06 pm

My handwriting has got worse since I left school as I don't have to write things down very often.
If I'm upset about something then my handwriting is messier. This was very noticable when I was at school.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Super Nekou » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 am

MontyDyspraxia wrote:I can't even read my own handwriting.

Quoted for truth! It's been the same all my life. Every school report 'Must improve handwriting' and it was only when I was diagnosed did it all make sense. The reports amuse me now. My joined up handwriting is impossible to read, and I now write with all capital letters for ease on my wrist and so people can somewhat read it. They still cant, however. I barely write these days, but I'm a fantastic typist. Which was great for exams.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Yes, but only because I tried extremely hard in my primary school.
07williamsdj

Postby Remus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm

My writing I would consider messy but not that bad compared to some other people writing. My writing is rather large as well so even if it is messy, people can usually read it due to the size. I remember my english's teacher telling me I had really bad handwriting and yet I couldn't even read hers!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby 07williamsdj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Remus wrote:I remember my english's teacher telling me I had really bad handwriting and yet I couldn't even read hers!

Yeah, that happened to me
07williamsdj

Postby galexy96 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Just had parents evening and as per usual they brought up my handwriting
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Star » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:27 pm

I used to have really bad handwriting but my secondary school ran handwriting classes and my handwriting improved. :D
Star
Mega Poster

Postby C » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Generally speaking, people can't read my handwriting, no. It can be okay sometimes but, under stress, becomes completely illegible. Handwriting's always been a big problem for me, despite the fact that my writing speed is actually quite fast, I think because I'm so keen to 'get my thoughts out of my head and onto the paper'.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby abi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 am

people generally cant read my handwriting, but it has taught me to be able to read other peoples really bad writing.

at cubs last night, i had to write out the 16 compass points on little peices of card that the cubs would have to read, that took me ages.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:20 pm

My brother and I both whent to the learnwrite center in longeaton. Both our handwriting improved greatly, but my brother's thumb joint which hadn't yet been picked up on became worse (I feel bad for him about that, I mentioned it might be his hypermobility but he just got told off for being lazy by my parents for years), and his writing is illegible. Mine is good now, and while slow it is much faster than it was.

In short, I have eccelent handwriting, but I can't really take credit.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:10 pm

I remember my english's teacher telling me I had really bad handwriting and yet I couldn't even read hers

Same! (apart from it's a him) I hate my English teacher he's all like "ooh spelling and hand writing bla bla bla" to me and I just feel like screaming. "A- how on earth do you find a word in a dictionary if you don't know how to spell it? and don't give me that whole "well you know what it starts with" because 9 times out of 10 there is a stupid silent letter e'g knife.
B- I CAN'T EVEN READ YOU'RE HAND WRITING JERK! honestly I have to get other people to tell me how you have complained about my work this time, if you care so much let me type it up! logic, you ain't got it!"
that felt good...

my friends can usually read my hand writing but sometimes get stuck on some words, it helps that I write in the one that's not joint up that I can't remember the technical name of. (even though I'm in y8 top set :shock: )
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby likeasheep » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm

With dyslexia and dyspraxia, I've got a very slow writing speed at only 11 words a minute, but I've heard that lots of other people have this too. But I've always admired other people with nice handwriting, so I did my best to keep my work neat and legible. On my assessment, it said that while I was very slow, it was always legible, though I can't write on a straight line, even if I have lined paper... I've been recommended for a computer in my exams now, so the only time I have to write by hand is notes for music which only I'll see, so it doesn't matter too much anyway. :)
likeasheep

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat