Please help me !

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Did you have any of these at school

Extra time
31%
laptops
23%
sitting at front
20%
verbal exam
6%
other
20%

Total votes : 35

Please help me !

Postby thevaneone6601 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:50 pm

I don't have dyspraxia sure I have the diagnosis but I don't have it I know that sounds weird nut I always knew and coming on here made me realise, everyone on here has there daily life somewhat affected, I'm not awful at sports I am in a couple of school teams and sail regularly, I can do everything which people find difficult to do here. There is one thing I can't do I cant do those stupid spatial puzzels, also at the test I faled the three d maths test like geometry and stuff but that is just because I hadnt done that at school (i moved around a lot) my parent's agree that I don't have it bu they think I find writing and things difficut and so the benefits school are trying to give me would be helpful. The thing is if I took a re - test the same result would probably come back, but then again my dad would fail those puzzels and wrtiting is awful so is my mym's, I am so annoyned I am bad at somethings and good at some yet just because one thing I am bad at fits a diagnosis. I hate it I get all this support which I dont need which would so better be used somewhere else school wants me to use a laptop, my writing is fine school agrees but they say it will help with organanisation I tried it last year and it didn't , in fact it made it worse (memory sticks, broken laptops , broken teachers memory stick, computer shutting down, printer not working etc.) and extra time for as long as I have remembered I have always finished exams a good 20 minutes early including checking. I feel like everything is blamed on it I was talking in lesson not because I have dyspraxia but becasuse my friend had some good gossip , I didnt do the homework last night because I am lazy I failed my french test becausle I didnt revise I suppose I am like the oppiste of the lots of you guys here where tyou are accused of beung lazy or disruptive when in atchual fact you have dyspraxia. I would be so grateful if somewoone would answer me
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Re: Please help me !

Postby abi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 am

you may have mild dyspraxia, even if you dont have all the signs, but if you do not want the help, they should not be forcing it on you, say no. if i was you, i would not refute the diagnosis itself, as if you do have dyspraxia, even mildly, at some point the extra help may be useful. from what you have said, you may have a mild dyspraxia, and have managed to cope so far. a lot of the people on here have relativly severe dyspraxia (sometimes combined with other things like autism spectrum disorders), which may be why it seems to affect daily life a lot more.

you may not have dyspraxia, but there are other disorders that affect the ability to visulise shapes, but it may just be that that is your weak point. if i was you i would look around online to see if you fit any SPLDs other than dyspraxia. if you dont fit any of them, chances are you should just say that that is a weak point of yours and you dint have any SPLD severe enough to need help.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby C » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're feeling like this about the diagnosis. I have mild dyspraxia and a lot of my problems are less severe than some members of this site... I'm living independently at uni, doing my own washing and ironing, cooking for myelf (sort of!) but I think it's important to remember that it affects different people in different ways and a lot of people who post on here also have comoribd conditions, such as autism or AS which can lead to a different type of problems (I don't mean any offense to anyone when I say this, I'm not trying to imply anyone's more or less able than anyone else). I know I have dyspraxia because, like you, I struggle with maths and spatial skills. I am unable to drive a car because of my problems, for example. Unlike you, I've never questioned having it. I agree with you that (even if you do have dyspraxia, or any condition) it shouldn't be seen as an excuse for things. For example, if you're talking to your friend simply to hear gossip I completely agree that you shouldn't get away with it simply because 'I've got a condition, I can't do anything!' However, if you're talking to your friend because you don't understand the lesson due to your difficulties and you've tried telling the teacher but all they say is 'well you should have been listening, then' and you're worried and panicked and stressed... well, that's a different matter. In the majority of cases, if you are diagnosed with a condition, you definitely have it HOWEVER I accept that in a minority of cases, things can be misdiagnosed. Who diagnosed you? Could you try going back to them and asking for a second opinion if you're really not sure? Also, even if you are dyspraxic you don't have to take all the help available if you feel you don't need it and it wouldn't benefit you, you could just take the things you think will help.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby thevaneone6601 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Firstly thank you both of you , as for a second diagnosis that could be tricky as the person who did it was a family friend who takes a lot of pride in her work. I am being presurised into help as I go to a top selevtive private school who I think am pananking that I will not get 9999 a* at GCSE at the moment I am not talking to friends in lessons, deliberatly putting up my hand if I have finished showing that I do not need help and inproving my writting
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Postby justme6565 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm the exact same way... my diagnosis is VERY mild, quite like yours, and what you must remember is that dyspraxia affects everyone a different way... there is no "textbook" dyspraxia. It's easy to feel guilty, (or at least I know I have) when others on this site seem to struggle a lot more, but remember that everyone fights their own battles is their own ways....

Last bumped by thevaneone6601 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 pm.
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips